April 03, 2007

:: ContrAddicted

Wherever I've been, the same gay attitude is followed everywhere in the world. Whether it is Amsterdam or Riyadh, our community lives the same scenarios, parties, gatherings, gossips, heartbreaks and many other different aspects of the typical queer life.

We were sitting in the Harry's Pub, having our cocktails and drinks when Wael called me:

"Hey Digg! I just finished work. Where are you guys?"


"We just reached the Harry's. Hurry up, is Amgad coming with you?"

"Yep. On our way."

They had just got committed a month before. In fact, they have just bought two white gold rings to celebrate their eternal love to come. Although they met in a very uncommon story, and despite my doubts about what could be the real intentions behind Amgad's Pay It Forward good deeds, I was kind of convinced when I saw them taking their love-life-to-be in a serious way. Amgad was Wael's 27th Lover.

"Samer, I said while ending the call, they are coming. Please try to be cool with it, would you?"

Samer just looked at me while dipping his toasted Lebanese bread in the chili cheese mix on the table and said:

"I don't like Wael's way in what he is doing. For crying out loud, they have just met and decided to go the next level and he just goes and fucks Amgad's best friend? I can't look at his face. How cheap is that!"

"Samer, please, you are not supposed to know this. I told you that Wael doesn't have the possibility to say no. He swore to me that he regrets it a lot and felt how seriously he is in love with Amgad. I believe that was a test that he had to go through to know what the real feeling of guilt should be like." I said those words, although I wasn't really believing them. My head was processing the whole Fuck-Fuck scenario in a very traditional way: control your cock when you promise someone to start something serious. I might be from the old school, but open relationships don't exist in my seXFORD dictionary.

I checked the pub, on that Thursday night, there were quiet a bunch of gay table around us. Nobody was interesting, I was thinking about the guy I had met the week before. I was in a serious mess whenever I thought about him: he was a total copy of my ex partner. My feelings were too messy to understand what I was really feeling towards him: was it having a crush or reliving my dead love reincarnated in him?

Half an hour later, two queens walked from the main door. We greeted following the usual queer ritual of pressing our bodies against each other while stamping a warm cheek kiss. I could read disgust in Samer's eyes when he saw Wael, but he is good in controlling his reactions.

"What would you have guys?", I asked while giving them space to sit next to me.

"I would go for Tequila, said Amgad while hailing the waitress".

"Manhattan", added Wael. "How is it tonight?"

"I like the music played tonight, thank God not too much drunk karaoke singers".

They laughed. I smiled, leaned next to Wael and said: "He left, right?".

"Yeah, we just drove him to the airport. Digg, I tell you, Amgad was crying; and I felt torture. What I did was really bad."

I mixed my Vodka with Sparkling Water and answered: "I hope you learnt your lesson, Wael".

He nodded.

An hour passed. Alcohol was affecting our systems and we started moving with Karl Wolf's music and some Sexy Backs that needed to be whipped when a Japanese girl approached us and walked towards Amgad while carrying a Tequila shot. She put the plate on the table and said to him: "My friend over there wants you to have this."

We all turned and looked. There he was, a somehow good looking guy in his late twenties was waving at Amgad. Confused, my friend didn't answer but just looked at the offering. Suddenly, he frowned. I looked at Wael then told Amgad:

"Dude, that's cool. You know what, just take the Tequila, give it back to him and tell him you are already with someone."

"How could he do that!", said Amgad. I felt a storm coming. I quickly answered:

"How could he know you're with someone! He liked you and signaled it. It's your move now to gently reject his request."

Quickly, Amgad took the drink and gave it back to the somehow cute in hate late twenties guy. When he came back to our table, Amgad just grabbed his mobile phone and stormed out of the Pub. Seeing this, Wael quickly followed him. I looked at Samer and Shatz, bedazzled by that attitude.

I followed them and found Amgad hysterical.

"How could he do this? Do I look that queen? Do I look that cheap?"

No, you look like a Drama Queen to me!

"Come on Amgad, the guy liked you among the five of us. You should be flattered! How could he know that you're committed to someone?"

"No. This is sick! This is crazy! I must complain to the Pub's Owner".

I looked at Wael who was totally cool about it. When Amgad left us to file a complain, Wael said:

"It's always like that. He's always exaggerating everything. Making a big fuss out of nothing. It has been a month with him and this is killing me already". I couldn't find the right words to answer, I just walked back to our table.

I looked at the somehow good looking guy in his late twenties and his friends: they had no idea what was going on in that moment. I kept waiting for what would happen next, since Amgad was uncontrollable. A waiter asked me: "Is it that guy over there?" I shrugged. "Well you know sir, if it was a guy flirting a girl, we would have taken some measures.. but this is out of our hands. They are both guys!" I wasn't comfortable with what that garçon was saying. Why were I shoved in the middle of this pointless drama?

Amgad sat next to me. I asked for another Tequila and told him:

"Hey you! Why all this?"

"I am with someone here; plus apparently he has been spying on me all that time, knowing that I am only having Tequila shots tonight. Please Digg. It's okay. Leave me for now".

I smiled. If "contradiction" existed in flesh and blood, it would have been infront of me, in both guys: Wael and Amgad were the total extremes in exaggerating each side of the faithful relationship. Wael was addicted to sex. Amgad was addicted to showing off.

The rest of the night passed calmly, but Samer, Shatz and I were wondering: Why did the somehow good looking in his late twenties guy pick Amgad, the committed guy, and left three single hot boys?

Sometimes, you just laugh on how ironic and contradicted life is!


Leave a Reply Read Previous Comments




5 comments:

Omni said...

Single folks look over-eager and desperate; folks in relationships look confident and secure... so guess who everyone goes for.

Moses said...

hey! I wanna be hit on at harry,s. Take me digg. Lol

... and then God created Men! said...

AK, you betcha!
Just get your ass here and we'll have the best time ever!

Anonymous said...

Harry's Bar ?!? Like in the early 1990s of my youth ? Are you joking ?
I've been lamenting over the loss of all the kawaninesque venues of yesteryears (you probably wouldn't want to know what I'm referring to, you'd charlotte all over me), and there you are mentioning Harry's, next post you'll probably tell of some action going on at the Taverne. Maybe there's a time machine going on here, you'll soon rave about of the Azbakiyya Gardens, and three posts later you'll tell of the latest concert of the Anisa Umm Kulthum you've been attending.
God, young Rami at Harry's, fifteen years ago, melting in love after each kiss...

... and then God created Men! said...

Pacha;
For starters, Taverne is a dull place, and if I start "raving" about Al-Azbakeya -why won't I mention those cheap whores infront of Hardee's Tahrir Square better? At least they have style comparing to the other ones.

There is nothing wrong about Miss Um Kulthum (neither the Hotel in Zamalek) and it is not about the place, it is about the person and the group he is with.

I am mentioning in my posts certain specific events with a special story behind -Why would I talk about the guy I slept with last night that we hooked a couple of hours earlier in Le Pacha Sharm? Or maybe post a whole detailed dance and drunk night action in Ministry of Sound?
Most probably because that was an empty night.

If I happen to have some hot story that happened in an Abdel Halim Hafez mimic concert, trust me, I wouldn't think twice posting it.